Alison Haruta, MD
I was born and raised in Seattle, spent 4 years on the east coast for undergrad, then came back for med school and stayed for residency. I am planning on a trauma/critical care fellowship after graduation.
Hiking, snacking, rock climbing, arts and crafts. Tortured follower of Seattle sports, and casual observer of Michigan football.
Trauma Surgery/Critical Care, Palliative Care, Surgical Education
ACS Resident Member
Women in Surgery Mentorship Program
I stayed at UW because I loved all the people I met as a med student. I feel so lucky to train with such talented people who are always there to support me and bring me snacks. There are amazing clinical opportunities from trauma to specialty cancer care to research but I think the community is what makes it so special.
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
What do you like best about living in Seattle?
Mountains, mountains, beer, coffee, mountains
- Haruta, A, Pham, T. Burn Center Referral Criteria. UW Medicine Online Clinical Care Advisories and Messages. 2020. https://occam.uwmedicine.org/trauma-reference-kit/burnshypothermia/burn-center-referral-criteria/
- Haruta, A. Pham, T. Burn Resuscitation Guidelines. UW Medicine Online Clinical Care Advisories and Messages. 2020. https://occam.uwmedicine.org/trauma-reference-kit/burnshypothermia/burn-resuscitation-guidelines/
- Haruta, A, Wright AS. Persistent Dysphagia after Esophageal Myotomy. SAGES Manual of Foregut Physiology: Diagnostic Evaluation and Management (Submitted).
- Haruta, A, Oh, J, Mandell, S. Code Blade: A Retrospective Review of Harborview’s Resuscitative Thoracotomies from 2008-2018 (In progress).
- Haruta, A, Zern, N. Utilization of Novel 3D Printed Modules for Surgical Airway Curriculum. (In progress).
- Astley HC, Haruta A, Roberts TJ. Robust jumping performance and elastic energy recovery from compliant perches in tree frogs. J Exp Biol. 2015 Nov;218(Pt 21):3360-3. doi: 10.1242/jeb.121715. PMID: 26538173.
- Haruta, A, Drezner J. Screening for Sudden Cardiac Death: The Accuracy of Current Heart Health History Questions. Western Student Medical Research Forum. 2015.
- Fudge J, Harmon KG, Owens DS, Prutkin JM, Salerno JC, Asif IM, Haruta A, Pelto H, Rao AL, Toresdahl BG, Drezner JA. Cardiovascular screening in adolescents and young adults: a prospective study comparing the Pre-participation Physical Evaluation Monograph 4th Edition and ECG. Br J Sports Med. 2014. PMID: 24948082.