Jake Hemingway, MD
Bellevue, WA, USA
University of Washington
Born and raised in the Northwest, I have spent nearly all of my life in Seattle. I attended the University of Washington for both undergrad and medical school, and am now a current resident in the Integrated Vascular Surgery Program at the University of Washington.
Skiing, windsurfing, running, biking, hiking, Husky/Seahawk Football
Vascular trauma, ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms, limb salvage
VESS Candidate Member
Excellent mentorship and strong, well-rounded clinical training.
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Put the patient first; write everything down; be teachable; stay positive!
What do you like best about living in Seattle?
Great food and outdoor activities.
- Hemingway JF, French B, Caps M, Benyakorn T, Quiroga E, Tran N, Singh N, Starnes BW. Pre-operative Risk Score Accuracy is Confirmed in a Modern Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Experience. Submitted to J Vasc Surg, in review. 2021
- Hemingway JF, Desikan SK, Dasari M, Tran CD, Hoffman RS, Gobble A, Spurlock A, Singh N, Quiroga E, Tran N, Starnes BW. Intraoperative Consultation of Vascular Surgeons is Increasing at a Major American Trauma Center. Submitted to J Vasc Surg, in review. 2021
- Hemingway JF, Ohlsson A, Hurd J, Starnes BW. Bilateral Internal Iliac Branch Device with Ipsilateral Deployment. Submitted to J Vasc Surg Cases Innov Tech, in review. 2021
- Stafforini NA, Singh N, Hemingway JF, Starnes BW, Tran N, Quiroga E. Re-evaluating the need for routine coverage of the left subclavian artery in thoracic blunt aortic injury. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 2020: In press, accepted for publication.
- Hemingway JF, Hoffman R, Starnes BW, Quiroga E, Tran N, Singh N. The impact of a limb preservation service on the incidence of major amputations for all indications at a level I trauma center. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 2021;70:43-50
- Firoozabadi R, Wilkerson J, Hemingway JF, Tran N. Axillary artery pseudoaneurysm after revision plate osteosynthesis of a midshaft clavicle fracture nonunion. JBJS Case Connector. 2020;10(3):e19.
- Hemingway JF, Adjei EA, Desikan SK, Gross JA, Tran N, Singh N, Starnes BW, Quiroga E. Re-evaluating the safety and effectiveness of the 0.9 ankle-brachial index threshold in penetrating lower extremity trauma. J Vasc Surg. 2020;72(4):1305-1311.
- Hemingway JF, Singh N, Starnes BW. Emerging practice patterns in vascular surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Vasc Surg. 2020;72(2):396-402
- Hemingway JF, Adjei EA, Desikan SK, Gross JA, Tran N, Singh N, Starnes BW, Quiroga E. Lowering the ankle–brachial index threshold in blunt lower extremity trauma may prevent unnecessary imaging. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 2020;62:106-113
- Hemingway JF, Singh N. Prolonged Hemodialysis Access Bleeding. UW Medicine OCCAM. 2020
- Hemingway JF, Emanuels D, Aarabi S, Quiroga E, Tran N, Starnes BW, Singh N. Safety of transfer, type of procedure, and factors predictive of limb salvage in a modern series of acute limb ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2019;69(4):1174-1179
- Hemingway JF, Desikan SK, Quiroga E. Ankle Brachial Index Technique. UW Medicine OCCAM. 2017
- Keene CD, Yang Y, Cudaback E, Rice S, Jorstad NL, Hemingway JF, Sapru A, Montine TJ. Reduced vascular amyloid through non-myeloablative bone marrow transplantation in experimental cerebral amyloid angiopathy. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology. 2015;74(6): 626
- Flanagan M, Gonzalez-Cuyar L, Hemingway JF, Hoffer Z, Montine TJ, Bird T, Keene CD. Neuropathologic Features of Spinocerebellar Ataxia 5 (Lincoln’s Ataxia). Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology. 2014;73(6):601.
- Yang Y, Cudaback E, Jorstad NL, Hemingway JF, Hagan CE, Melief EJ, Li X, Yoo T, Khademi SB, Montine KS, Montine TJ, Keene CD. APOE3, but not APOE4, bone marrow transplantation mitigates behavioral and pathological changes in a mouse model of Alzheimer disease. Am J Pathol. 2013;183(3): 905-17.
- Yang Y, Shiao C, Hemingway JF, Jorstad NL, Shalloway BR, Chang R, Keene CD. Suppressed retinal degeneration in aged wild type and APPswe/PS1ΔE9 mice by bone marrow transplantation. PLoS One. 2013;8(6): e64246.
- Cimino PJ, Yang Y, Li X, Hemingway JF, Cherne MK, Khademi SB, Fukui Y, Montine KS, Montine TJ, Keene CD. Ablation of the microglial protein DOCK2 reduces amyloid burden in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. Exp Mol Pathol. 2013;94(2):366-371.
- Hemingway JF, Singh N. Direct Surgical Repair of Popliteal Entrapment. Submitted for publication in Chaikof EL (ed.): Atlas of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy: Anatomy and Technique.
- Hemingway JF, Singh N. Upper Extremity Arterial Disease: Amputation. Submitted for publication in Cronenwett JL, Johnston KW (eds.): Rutherford’s Vascular Surgery.
- Hemingway JF, Singh N. Popliteal Entrapment and Adventitial Cyst Disease. In Cronenwett JL, Farber A, Mitchell EL (eds.): Vascular Decision Making. Wolters Kluwer, 2021, 290-293
- Hemingway JF, Azizzadeh A, Starnes BW. Vascular Surgery: Acute Aortic Catastrophes. In Cohen TN, Ley EJ, Gewertz BL (eds.): Human Factors in Surgery. Springer, 2020, 225-231
- Hemingway JF, Quiroga E. Managing Vascular Emergencies Due to IV Drug Abuse. In Eskandari MK, Pearce WH, Yao JS (eds.): Current Vascular Surgery. Amika Press, 2019, 153-160