Center for Surgical Ethics
To improve the health of the public by promoting the highest standards of ethical care in surgery.
The Center for Surgical Ethics was established under the direction of Department of Surgery Henry N. Harkins Professor and Chair, Douglas E. Wood, MD, in collaboration with Center Director, Alberto Ferreres, MD, PhD, FACS (Hon.), ASA (Hon.). The center aims to elevate the ethical delivery of surgical care and promote education and scholarship within and beyond UW Medicine.
GOALS OF THE CENTER
- Promotion of cultural awareness as it related to both common and unique ethical issues and situations in the surgical setting.
- Advancement of academic scholarship and outcomes-based research in Surgical Ethics.
- Fostering educational opportunities, including the development of a multi-level educational program in Surgical Ethics.
- Develop and implement educational programs for graduate medical education.
Alberto Ferreres, MD, PhD, FACS (Hon.), ASA (Hon.)
Professor of Surgery, University of Buenos Aires, Chairman, Department of General Surgery, "Dr. Carlos A. Bocalandro" Hospital
Susan M. Marx, MBA, PMP
Vice Chair, Finance and Administration, Department of Surgery
Megan Sherman, MAEdHD
Associate Director, Operations, WWAMI Institute for Simulation in Healthcare (WISH)
Savannah Tam, BA
Program Coordinator, Surgery Administrative Office & HR, Department of Surgery
- REGISTRATION FOR THE 2021 SURGICAL ETHICS CONFERENCE HAS NOW CLOSED -