Society of Black Academic Surgeons (SBAS) Annual Meeting Scholarships
Scholarship Selection Criteria
- Selection of awardees will be weighted towards nomination of under-represented junior faculty members of the Department of Surgery.i
- Surgical residents and fellows within the department and its divisions may also be nominated.
- A statement will be required outlining support from the divisional chief in the case of junior faculty or from the program director in the case of surgical residents. An attempt will be made to pair selected resident attendees with Department of Surgery faculty in attendance at the meeting in order to obtain the highest exposure and benefit from the meeting.
- Both faculty and residents/fellows will be encouraged to apply for full or associate membership to SBAS respectively and contribute an original research project for possible presentation.
- Residents presenting research at the meeting will also be encouraged to present their work at the annual Schilling Research Symposium.
- Under certain circumstances, awards may be extended to deserving medical students who have an expressed interest in pursuing a career in a surgical specialty. These cases may be reviewed on an individual basis and should be accompanied by a letter of support from a faculty mentor.
Scholarship Application Process
- Applicants should submit their application to the Chair's office with "Attention: SBAS Scholarship Application" written on the envelope by February 1st to be eligible for the scholarship for that year's Annual Meeting (held each spring).
- Applicants must be under-represented surgical residents, fellows, or junior faculty in good standing in the Department of Surgery.
- Applications should include a statement from the applicant of the expected benefit of attending the annual meeting of the SBAS.
- Applications should include a letter of support from the faculty member's division chief or from the resident's program director.
- A Selection Committeeii will select the two scholarship recipients and will notify them not later than end of February of the year for which they apply.