Division of Trauma, Burn & Critical Care Surgery Visiting Scholar Program

If space is available in the area of interest, the Division of Trauma and Burn Surgery accepts Visiting Scholars for variable periods. You should supply a clear statement of your areas of interest, qualifications, and complete CV. Only observational clinical experience is available. Direct patient care is not an option.  Please note, our application process takes up to 5 months to complete so please plan your observation accordingly.

  1. You must have good English language skills and be able to communicate well verbally and in writing with the members of the Division and the Department. The Department of State (DOS) J-1 Exchange Visitor regulations require that sponsors use and document one of the following "objective measurements" of English language proficiency for incoming J-1 Exchange Visitors: the recognized English language test, we only accept is TOEFEL http://www.ets.org/toefl.
  2. You must have proof that adequate funding is provided for your support during your stay in the United States. This funding should be provided from sources other than friends or family currently living in the US. No University of Washington funds are available for the purpose of the Visiting Scholar support. All sources of funding for this purpose must be documented.
  3. If your family is to accompany you during your stay here, the visiting scholar will be required to pay the associated visa fees. The visiting scholar must provide proof of adequate financial support for the entire family for the term of their stay in the US.
  4. The University of Washington cannot provide health insurance coverage for Visiting Scholars. You must make arrangements either with your funding source or independently for health insurance coverage for yourself and accompanying family members.
  5. You should supply three letters of reference addressing your character and abilities. English language skills should be specifically noted. A letter from your home institution or the institution that will be providing your funding is also required. These letters should be addressed to Ronald V. Maier, MD at the Harborview address listed on the Education Contacts page.
  6. In order to request the necessary IAP-66 forms, the Division must know full name, date of birth, city and country of birth, city and country of residence, current citizenship for yourself and all members of the family who will accompany you to the United States, whether you and they have previously been in the U.S., and total amount and source of support.  We will also need to know the arrival and departure date of your visit.
  7. A phone interview may be required to complete the application process.

If your situation is appropriate to the above conditions, we will do all we can to acquire the necessary forms for visa application and accommodate your arrival.

To apply:

Call or email the Visiting Scholar Program Manager. Their contact information can be found on the Education Contacts page.