Christina Beck, PhD
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and attended the University of California, Santa Barbara for undergraduate and graduate school where I earned my PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology. My dissertation focused on the biomechanical properties of bacterial toxins and mechanism of toxin delivery into the environment. After moving to New York City for medical school, I wanted to be back on the West Coast for residency. During my sub-internship at UW, I was drawn to the sense of community within the Department of Surgery, depth of exposure in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, and most importantly the people in the program. In Seattle, I continue to play soccer, try new cuisine, and adventure in the Pacific Northwest in my free time.
Soccer, running, anything in the mountains, learning about other people’s cultures
All aspects of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Gluck MJ, Beck CM, Sochol K, London D, Hausman MR. “Comparative strength of elbow splint designs: a novel splint design as a stronger alternative to posterior splints.” J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2019 Apr;28(4):e125-e130.
- Beck CM, Horesh E, Taub PJ. “Outcomes of Intramedullary Fixation of Metacarpal Fractures Using Headless Compression Screws: A Literature Review” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Apr;143(4):1111-1118.
- Gluck MJ, Beck CM, Golan EJ, Nasser P, Shukla DR, Hausman MR. “Varus Posteromedial Rotatory Instability: A Biomechanical Analysis of pMUCL Reconstruction.” J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018 Jul;27(7):1317-1325.
- Koehler SM, Beck CM, Nasser P, Gluck M, Hausman MR. “The effect of screw trajectory for the reduction and association of the scaphoid and lunate (RASL) procedure: a biomechanical analysis.” J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2018 Jul;43(6):635-641.
- Benoni R, Beck CM, Garza-Sanchez F, Bettati S, Mozzarelli A, Hayes CS, Campanini B. “Activation of an anti-bacterial toxin by the biosynthetic enzyme CysK: mechanism of binding, interaction specificity, and competition with cysteine synthase.” Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 18;7(1):8817.
- Ruhe ZC, Nguyen JY, Xiong J, Koskiniemi S, Beck CM, Perkins BR, Low DA, Hayes CS. “CdiA effectors use modular receptor-binding domains to recognize target bacteria.” MBio. 2017 Mar 28;8(2):e00290-17.
- Lovy AJ, Keswani A, Beck CM, Dowdell III J, Parsons BO. “Risk factors for timing of adverse events after total shoulder arthroplasty.” J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2017 Jun;26(6):1003-1010.
- Keswani A, Beck CM, Meier KM, Fields AC, Bronson MJ, Moucha CS. “Day of surgery and surgical start time affects hospital length of stay after total hip arthroplasty.” J Arthroplasty. 2016 Nov;31(11):2426-2431.
- Beck CM, Willett J Cunningham DA, Low DA, Hayes CS. “CdiA Effectors from Uropathogenic Escherichia coli Use Heterotrimeric Osmoporins as Receptors to Recognize Target Bacteria.” PLoS Pathog. 2016 Oct 10;12(10):e1005925.
- Johnson PM*, Beck CM*, Morse PR, Garza-Sanchez F, Low DA, Hayes CS, Goulding CW. “Unraveling the essential role of CysK in CDI toxin activation.” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Aug 30;113(35):9792-7.
- Campanini B, Benoni R, Bettati S, Beck CM, Hayes CS, Mozzarelii A. “Moonlighting O-acetylserine sulfhydrylase: New functions for an old protein.” Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015 Sep;1854(9):1184-93.
- Ruhe ZC, Nguyen J, Beck CM, Low DA, Hayes CS. “The proton-motive force is required for translocation of CDI toxins across the inner membrane of target bacteria.” Mol Microbiol. 2014 Oct;94(2):466-81.
- Beck CM, Diner EJ, Kim JJ, Low DA, Hayes CS. “F pilus mediates a novel pathway of CDI toxin import.” Mol Microbiol. 2014 Jul;93(2):276-90.
- Beck CM*, Morse RP*, Cunningham DA, Low DA, Goulding CW, Hayes CS. “CdiA from Enterobacter cloacae delivers a toxic ribosomal RNase into target bacteria.” Structure. 2014 May 6;22(5):707-18.
- Whitney JC, Beck CM, Goo YA, Russell AB, Harding B, De Leon JA, Cunningham DA, Tran BQ, Low DA, Goodlett DR, Hayes CS, Mougous JD. “Genetically distinct pathways guide effector export through the type VI secretion system.” Mol Microbiol. 2014 May;92(3):529-42.
- Diner EJ, Beck CM, Webb JS, Low DA, Hayes CS. “Identification of a target cell permissive factor required for contact-dependent growth inhibition (CDI).” Genes Dev. 2012 Mar 1;26(5):515-25.