Giulia Daneshgaran, MD
I was born and raised in northern Italy in a family of Italians and Persians. I moved to Los Angeles in 2007 to begin high school, where I stayed until I completed a bachelor’s degree in Physiological Science at the University of California Los Angeles, with the early dream of becoming a physician and surgeon. Right after college, I moved to New York in 2015 to begin medical school at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. While in medical school, I spent a dedicated year researching lymphedema prevention and management using animal models of disease in a basic science laboratory at the University of Southern California. Finally, I moved to Seattle after graduating in 2020 to pursue a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery residency at the University of Washington. In my free time, I enjoy surrounding myself with friends and family – doing anything from indoor yoga or playing video games to traveling and exploring new cultures.
Skiing, yoga, volleyball, guitar, hiking, traveling abroad
Hand surgery, peripheral nerve surgery, lymphedema surgery
I fell in love with the culture of camaraderie and excellence at UW Plastic Surgery and I feel so grateful for the opportunity to be here!
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Be humble – you don’t know nearly as much as your seniors, so heed their advice. Don’t be afraid to ask for help – especially when you first start out, everyone understands the position you’re in and is willing to lend you a hand. Don’t expect to get out on time – so when you do, it’s great! Enjoy your free time – the more fun and relaxing experiences you do outside of work, the more you’ll feel like you’re taking advantage of all the time you have.
What do you like best about living in Seattle?
The amazing combo of natural beauty, great food and city life, water and lakes everywhere, and fun-loving attitudes of the PNW folks.
- Daneshgaran G, Cooper MN, Ni P, Zhou S, Weichman KE, Wong AK. Analysis of Trends in the Selection and Production of U.S. Academic Plastic Surgery Faculty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. Jan 2020. 8 (1): e2607. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000002607. PMID: 32095411.
- Daneshgaran G, Paik CB, Cooper MN, Sung C, Lo A, Jiao W, Park SY, Kim GH, Hong YK, Wong AK. Prevention of Postsurgical Lymphedema via Immediate Delivery of Sustained-Release 9-cis Retinoic Acid to the Lymphedenectomy Site. Journal of Surgical Oncology. Jan 2020. 121 (1): 100-108. doi: 10.1002/jso.25587. PMID: 31240729.
- Daneshgaran G, Lo A, Paik CB, Cooper MN, Sung C, Jiao W, Park SY, Ni P, Yu RP, Vorobyova I, Jashashvili T, Hong YK, Kim GH, Conti PS, Chai Y, Wong AK. A Pre-clinical Animal Model of Secondary Head and Neck Lymphedema. Scientific Reports. Dec 2019. 9 (1): 18264. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-54201-2. PMID: 31797883.
- Cooper MN, Daneshgaran G, Yu RP, Chang J, Vartanian E, Matros EM, Mehrara BJ, Shamsunder M, Wong AK. Analysis of the Microsurgery Match from 2014-2018 Reveals Increased Competition for Microsurgery Fellowship Positions. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. Nov 2019. 35 (9): 662-668. doi: 10.1055/s-0039-1693408. PMID: 31302902.
- Daneshgaran G, Stern CS, Garfein ES. Reporting Practices on Immunosuppression and Rejection Management in Face Transplantation: A Systematic Review. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. Nov 2019. 35 (9): 652-661. doi: 10.1055/s-0039-1691787. PMID: 31170730.
- Daneshgaran G, Gardner D, Chen A, Perrault DP, Johnson MB, Niknam-Bienia S, Soundararajan V, Fedenko A, Baker RY, Wong AK. Differential Gene Expression in Capsules Derived From Smooth and Textured Silicone Implants (Plastic Surgery The Meeting 2019 Abstract). Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open. Aug 2019. 7 (8S-1): 35-36.
- Daneshgaran G, Paik CB, Cooper MN, Jiao W, Young-Kwon H, Wong AK. Sustained-Release 9-cis Retinoic Acid Pellets for the Prevention of Postsurgical Lymphedema (California Society of Plastic Surgeons 2019 Abstract). Annals of Plastic Surgery. May 2019. 82 (5S): S367.
- Cooper MN, Khim PK, Daneshgaran G, Yu RP, Jiao W, Park SY, Wong AK. Fibronectin-derived Small Peptide PHSRN Improves Wound Healing in Irradiated Skin (California Society of Plastic Surgeons 2019 Abstract). Annals of Plastic Surgery. May 2019. 82 (5S): S351.
- Daneshgaran G, Song EH, Wong AK. Patient Education – Lymphedema. WoundReference. May 2019. https://woundreference.com/app/topic?id=patient-education—lymphedema
- Daneshgaran G, Song EH, Wong AK. Lymphedema – Surgical Management. WoundReference. Apr 2019. https://woundreference.com/app/topic?id=lymphedema—surgical-management
- Daneshgaran G, Song EH, Wong AK. Lymphedema – Treatment and Emerging Strategies for Prevention. WoundReference. Apr 2019. https://woundreference.com/app/topic?id=lymphedema—treatment-and-emerging-strategies-for-prevention
- Daneshgaran G, Song EH, Wong AK. Lymphedema – Introduction and Assessment. WoundReference. Mar 2019. https://woundreference.com/app/topic?id=lymphedema—introduction-and-assessment
- Daneshgaran G, Cooper MN, Park J, Pimentel CG, Wong AK. Trochanteric pressure ulcers: preoperative management and reconstructive considerations. Annals of Translational Medicine. Jan 2019. 7 (1): 22. doi: 10.21037/atm.2018.11.64. PMID: 30788369.
- Hamlin ND, Wong AK, Cooper MN, Daneshgaran G. “Flaps and Skin Grafts”. Text and Atlas of Wound Diagnosis and Treatment, Second Edition, 2019. New York: McGraw Hill. In Press.
- Yen A, Zhang K, Daneshgaran G, Kim HJ, Ho D. A Chemopreventative Nanodiamond Platform for Oral Cancer Treatment. Journal of the California Dental Association. Feb 2016. 44 (2): 121-127. PMID: 26930755.