Joshua Rosen, MD, MHS
I am originally from Toronto, Canada. After studying nanotechnology engineering in undergrad I decided I wanted to be closer to working with actual patients. I went to medical school at Yale and did an extra year focusing on large-database outcomes research in lung cancer. I am now in my first of two NIH T-32 funded research years at the Surgical Outcomes Research Center at UW.
When not in the hospital you can find me running either around the city or on the trails, hiking/snowshoeing with my dog Brody, or cooking/camping/enjoying a glass of wine with my wife and friends.
Trauma Surgery, Acute Care Surgery, Critical Care
Resident member of the American College of Surgeons and Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
The people! I love coming to work every day with my co-residents who make this an incredibly fun place to be. Also the setting, its amazing to be able to get out to the mountains so quickly and enjoy the natural world. Seattle pretty much has everything I could ask for.
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Its all about working as a team with your senior residents and fellow interns. Do your best to support each other! Also, enjoy this beautiful place you get to live in as much as possible.
What do you like best about living in Seattle?
Access to the outdoors, great food. Also as a Canadian I get super excited when I see flowers starting to bloom in late February, its pretty novel for me still.
- Rosen J.E., Yoffe S., Meerasa A., Verma M.S. and Gu F.X. Nanotechnology and Diagnostic Imaging: New Advances in Contrast Agent Technology. Journal of Nanomedicine & Nanotechnology. 2(5), 115-115, 2011
- Rosen J.E., Gu F.X. Surface Functionalization of Silica Nanoparticles with Cysteine: A Low-Fouling Zwitterionic Surface. Langmuir. 27(17), 10507-10513, 2011.
- Rosen J.E., Chan L., Shieh D., Gu F.X. Iron oxide nanoparticles for targeted cancer imaging and diagnostics. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine. 8(3), 275-290, 2011.
- Rosen J.E., Jones L., Gu F.X., Light-Induced Aggregation of Nanoparticles Functionalized with 7-amino-4-methylcoumarin. Nano Life. 2(3), 2012.
- Hancock J., Rosen J., Moreno A., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J. Management of Clinical Stage IIIA Primary Lung Cancers in the National Cancer Database. Ann Thorac Surg. 98(2) 424-432, 2014.
- Dhamija A., Rosen J.E.,* Dhamija A., Gould Rothberg B.E., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J., Learning curve to lymph node resection in minimally invasive esophagectomy for cancer. Innovations: Technology and Techniques in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. 9(4) 289-291, 2014. *Co-first authors
- Rosen J.E., Hancock J.G., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J. Predictors of Mortality After Surgical Management of Lung Cancer in the National Cancer Database. Ann Thorac Surg. 98(6) 1953-1960, 2014.
- Boffa D.J., Hancock J.G., Yao X., Goldberg S., Rosen J.E., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C. Now or Later: Evaluating the importance of the chemotherapy timing in resectable stage III (N2) Lung Cancer in the National Cancer Database. Ann Thorac Surg. 99(1) 200-208, 2015.
- Hancock J.G., Rosen J.E., Antonicelli A., Moreno A., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J. Impact of adjuvant treatment for microscopic residual disease after non-small cell lung cancer surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 99(2) 406-413, 2015.
- Rosen J.E., Keshava H.B., Yao X., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J., The natural history of operable non-small cell lung cancer in the national cancer database. Ann Thorac Surg. 101(5) 1850-1855, 2016.
- Salazar M.C., Rosen J.E., Arnold B.N., Thomas D.C., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Blasberg, J.D., Boffa D.J., Adjuvant chemotherapy for T3 non-small cell lung cancer with additional tumor nodules in the same lobe, J Thorac Oncol. 11(7) 1090-1100, 2016.
- Arnold B.N., Thomas D.C., Rosen J.E. Salazar M.C., Boffa D.J., Detterbeck F.C., Kim A.W., Lung cancer in the very young: treatment and survival in the national cancer data base, J Thorac Oncol. 11(7) 1121-1131, 2016.
- Rosen J.E., Salazar M.C., Wang Z., Yu J.B., Decker R.H., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J., Lobectomy vs. stereotactic body radiotherapy in healthy patients with stage I lung cancer, J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 152(1) 44-54, 2016.
- Johnson K.K., Rosen J.E., Salazar M.C., Boffa D.J., Outcomes of a highly selective surgical approach to oligometastatic lung cancer, Ann Thorac Surg. 102(4) 1166-1171, 2016.
- Rosen J.E., Salazar M.C., Dharmarajan, K., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J., Length of stay from the hospital perspective: practice of early discharge is not associated with increased readmission risk after lung cancer surgery, Annals of Surgery. 266(2) 383-388, 2017. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000001971
- Salazar M.C., Rosen J.E., Wang Z., Arnold B., Thomas D., Herbst R., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Blasberg J., Boffa D.J., Association of delayed adjuvant chemotherapy with survival after survival after lung cancer surgery, JAMA Oncology, 3(5) 610-619, 2017. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.5829
- Keshava H.B., Rosen J.E., DeLuzio M.R., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J., “What if I do nothing?” The Natural History of Operable Cancer of the Alimentary Tract, European Journal of Surgical Oncology. 43(4) 788-795, 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2016.12.006
- Boffa D.J., Rosen J.E., Mallin K., Loomis A., Gay G., Palis B., Thoburn K., Gress D., McKellar D.P., Shulman L.N., Facktor M.A., Winchester D.P., Using the national cancer database for outcomes research: a review, JAMA Oncology, 3 1722-1728, 2017 doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.6905
- Thomas D.C., Arnold B.N., Rosen J.E., Salazar M.C., Blasberg J.D., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J., Kim A.W., Defining outcomes of patients with clinical stage I small cell lung cancer upstaged at surgery, Lung Cancer. 103 75-81, 2017.
- Arnold B.N., Thomas D.C., Rosen J.E., Salazar M.C., Blasberg J.D., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J., Kim A.W., Effectiveness of Local Therapy for Stage I Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer in Nonagenarians, Surgery. 162 640-651, 2017.
- Thomas D.C., Blasberg J.D., Arnold B.N., Rosen J.E., Salazar M.C., Detterbeck F.C., Boffa D.J., Kim A.W., Validating the Thoracic Revised Cardiac Risk Index Following Lung Resection, Ann Thorac Surg. 104(2) 389-394, 2017.
- Thomas D.C., Arnold B.N., Rosen J.E., Salazar M.C., Detterbeck F.C., Blasberg J.D., Boffa D.J., Kim A.W., The significance of upfront knowledge of N2 disease in non-small cell lung cancer, World Journal of Surgery, 42 161-171, 2017.
- Smithy J.W., Rosen J.E., Gao S.J., Kim A.W., Postneoadjuvant adjuvant chemotherapy in resected N1 non-small cell lung cancer with residual nodal disease, J Surg Oncol, 116(8):1193-1196, 2017.
- Dhanasopon A.P., Salazar M.C., Hoag J.R., Rosen J.E., Kim A.W., Detterbeck F.C., Blasberg J.D., Boffa D.J., Fate of pneumonectomy patients variably captured by non-small cell lung cancer staging system, Ann Thorac Surg. 104 1829-1836, 2017.