Michael Shang, MD
Washington University in St. Louis
I grew up in CA in the Bay Area. I studied Biomedical and Electrical Engineering at WashU and went to Yale School of Medicine. I spent a year-long research fellowship during medical school investigating clinical outcomes in cardiac surgery, with a focus in thoracic aortic aneurysm and bicuspid aortic valve disease. I couples-matched at UW with my fiance, Megan, and so far we are loving our new lives in Seattle!
I love the outdoors and enjoy everything from hiking, rock climbing, snowboarding, to fishing. When I’m not outside, I can be found spending time with my partner and our orange cat, Fluffs. We are often cooking, exploring the happy hour and brewery scene, and trying every pho restaurant in the Seattle area.
Aortic valve repair
UW has everything I’m looking for both in and outside of the hospital. Our program provides a near perfect blend of rigorous clinical training, supportive educational environment, and opportunities for work-life balance. My co-residents are brilliant but also fun, laid-back, and well-rounded.
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Try not to take yourself too seriously. You won’t be perfect but everyone around you believes in you as long as you are trying your best. Trust the process!
What do you like best about living in Seattle?
Coming from a small college-town environment, I really appreciate how there’s always something new to try. Need last-minute plans for a day off that doesn’t include hiking? Odds are there are tickets available to a big-name concert or sports game. I also can’t get over the fact that ferries are a major form of public transit here so I can visit some random but purportedly beautiful island at a moment’s notice.
- Shang, M., Weininger, G., Mori, M., Kahler-Quesada, A., Degife, E., Brooks, C., Geirsson, A., Vallabhajosyula, P. Socioeconomic Disparities in Surveillance and Follow-Up of Patients with Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm. J Card Surg. 2022;37(4):831-839.
- Lena, T., Amabile, A., Shang, M., Torregrossa, G., Geirsson, A., Tesler, U. Alexis Carrel: The Surgeon, The Visionary, The Nobel Laureate. J Card Surg. 2022;37(2):277-279.
- Shang, M., Faggion Vinholo, T., Buntin, J., Zafar, M., Elefteriades, J. Bovine Aortic Arch: A result of chance or mandate of inheritance. Amer J Card. 2022;172:115-120.
- Amabile, A., Mori, M., Brooks, C., Weininger, G., Shang, M., Fereyedooni, S., Komlo, C., Mullan, C., Hameed, I., Geirsson, A. The Impact of Trainees’ Work Hour Regulations on Outcome in CABG and Valve Surgery in the State of New York. J Card Surg. 2021;36(12):4582-4590.
- Weininger, G., Ostberg, N., Shang, M., Zafar, M., Ziganshin, B., Liu, S., Young, E., Elefteriades, J. Lipid profiles help to explain protection from systemic atherosclerosis in ascending aortic aneurysm patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021;S0022-5223(21)01383-0.
- Shang, M., Kahler-Quesada, A., Mori, M., Yousef, S., Geirsson, A., Vallabhajosyula, P. Progression of Aortic Stenosis in Patients with Bicuspid Aortic Valve. J Card Surg. 2021;36(12):4665-4672.
- Mori, M., Weininger, G., Agarwal, R., Shang, M., Amabile, A., Kahler-Quesada, A., Yousef, S., Pichert, M., Vallabhajosyula, P., Zhang, L., Sugeng, L., Geirsson, A. Survival of patients with mild secondary mitral regurgitation with and without mild tricuspid regurgitation. Can J Cardiol. 2021;S0828-282X(21)00306-8.
- Sallam, A., Shang, M., Vallabhajosyula, I., Mori, M., Chinian, R., Assi, R., Bonde, P., Geirsson, A., Vallabhajosyula, P. Telemedicine in the Era of Coronavirus 19: Implications for Post-Operative Care in Cardiac Surgery. J Card Surg. 2021;36(10):3731-3737.
- Mori, M. Gan, G., Deng, Y., Yousef, S., Weininger, G., Daggula, K., Agarwal, R., Shang, M., Assi, R., Geirsson, A. Development and Validation of a Predictive Model to Identify Patients with Ascending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm. J Am Heart Assoc. 2021;10:e022102.
- Shang, M., Rajabipour, T., Vallabhajosyula, P. AngioVac suction embolectomy using a roller pump: Operative technique. J Card Surg. 2021;36(10):3851-3853.
- Weininger, G., Mori, M., Shang, M., Degife, E., Amick, M., Assi, R., Geirsson, A., Vallabhajosyula, P. Patterns of Surveillance Among Incidentally Detected Ascending Aortic Aneurysms. Ann Thorac Surg. 2021;S0003-4975(21)00302-7.
- Weininger, G., Einarsson, A., Mori, M., Brooks, C., Shang, M., Assi, R., Vallabhajosyula, P., Geirsson, A. The relationship between cardiac surgeon experience and average patient risk profile: CA and NY statewide analysis. J Card Surg. 2021;36:1189-1193.
- Brooks, C., Mori, M., Shang, M., Weininger, G., Raul, S., Dey, P., Vallabhajosyula, P., Geirsson, A. Center-level CABG and valve operative outcomes and volume-outcome relationships in New York State. J Card Surg. 2021;36:653-658.
- Mori, M., Weininger, G., Shang, M., Brooks C., Mullan, C., Najem, M., Malczewska, M., Vallabhajosyula, P., Geirsson, A. Association between CABG center volume and year-to-year outcome variability: New York and California statewide analysis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021;161:1035-1041.
- Shang, M., Mori, M., Gan, G., Deng, Y., Brooks, C., Weininger, G., Sallam, A., Vallabhajosyula, P., Geirsson, A. Widening volume and persistent outcome disparity in valve operations: New York statewide analysis, 2005-2016. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020;S0022-5223(20)33183-4.
- Weininger, G., Mori, M., Brooks, C., Shang, M., Faggion Vinholo, T., Zhang, Y., Assi, R., Geirsson, A., Vallabhajosyula, P. Association Between Cardiac Surgeons’ Number of Years in Practice and Surgical Outcomes in New York Cardiac Centers. JAMA Netw Open. 2020;3:e2023671.
- Kurokawa, Y., Shang, M., Yin, R., George, S. Modeling trastuzumab-related cardiotoxicity in vitro using human stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes. Toxicol Lett. 2018;285:74-80.
- Kurokawa, Y., Yin, R., Shang, M., Shirure, V., Moya, M., George, S. Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Endothelial Cells for Three-Dimensional Microphysiological Systems. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2017;23:474-484.