Spotlight on Past Trainees
Giana H. Davidson, MD, MPH, FACS
Associate Professor, Department of Surgery
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Health Systems and Population Health
Assistant Dean for Professional Development, Office of Faculty Affairs, UW Medicine
Chief, Section of Emergency General Surgery
“During my clinical training in General Surgery, I completed a two-year research fellowship to gain expertise in outcomes and health services research. This program was in the Pediatric Injury Research T32 program under the mentorship of Dr. Frederick Rivara and Drs. Saman Arbabi and Eileen Bulger at the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center . During these two years, I completed my Master of Public Health in Epidemiology and gained invaluable experience in grant writing and outcomes research, allowing me to publish and present our work at various surgical and public health conferences. This was the foundation for my current research focused on pragmatic clinical trials to better understand how we can improve patient-centered health outcomes, especially for those who are at higher risk for poor outcomes in our healthcare system. In addition to my academic projects during my research training, my husband and I expanded our family (of two dogs) to include two children and five chickens! My research fellowship years were a wonderfully busy time in my life. The mentoring, training in epidemiology and statistics, and departmental support were instrumental in launching my career in academic surgery and as faculty in obtaining independent funding as a surgeon-scientist. One of the best parts of my job is the opportunity to mentor our current surgical research fellows and to be able to support them in finding their passion in clinical research.”
- Davidson GH, Hamlat CA, Rivara FP, Koepsell TD, Jurkovich GJ, Arbabi, S. Long–term Survival of Adult Trauma Patients. JAMA. 2011;305(10):1001–1007.
- Davidson GH, Rivara FP, Arbabi S. Trauma and Long–term Mortality–Reply. JAMA. 2011;305(23):2413–2414.
- Davidson GH, Maier RV, Arbabi S, Goldin AB, Rivara FP. Impact of Operative Delay on Pediatric Trauma Outcomes. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 Jul;73(1):162–7.
- Davidson GH, Rivara FP, Mack CD, Kaufman R, Jurkovich GJ, Bulger ME. Validation of Pre–Hospital Trauma Triage Criteria for Motor Vehicle Collisions. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014 March; 76(3):755–761.
Awards and Honors
- 1st place—Region 10 American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma Resident Paper Competition.
- 1st place—American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma. Washington Committee on Trauma clinical paper presentation Tacoma, WA. November 2010.
- UW Department of Epidemiology 29th Annual Society for Epidemiologic Research Meeting. Injury as a Risk Factor for Fatal Unintentional Overdose following Hospitalization: A Population Based Analysis. Seattle, WA. June 2010.
- Washington State Joint Conference on Health. Injury as a Risk Factor for Fatal Unintentional Overdose After Hospitalization. Yakima, WA. October 2010.
- Washington State Joint Conference on Health. Public Opinion About Gun Regulation in Washington State. Yakima, WA. October 2010.
- Regional American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma Resident Paper Competition. Long Term Survival of Adult Trauma Patients. Tacoma, WA. November 2010.
- Washington State Department of Health Emergency Medical Services and Trauma Steering Committee. Outcome of WA State Adult Trauma Patients. January 2011.
- UW Department of Surgery Schilling Research Symposium. Long Term Survival of Adult Trauma Patients. Seattle, WA. February 2011.
- American College of Surgeons, Washington–Oregon Chapter. Long Term Survival of Adult Trauma Patients. Lake Chelan, WA. June 2011.